Here are all the questions that have been asked and answered all our information sessions. The links will take you to YouTube.
General CS Ph.D. Information Session — 3 December 2020
- 0:00 Introductions
- 5:25 Do I need to have a master’s degree to get a Ph.D.?
- 6:10 How do I pay for a Ph.D.? How much does it cost?
- 7:37 What are some of the qualities of an ideal candidate for a PhD? Conversely, what might raise a red flag in a candidate’s application?
- 7:31 What’s the weight of different parts of the application (test scores, grades, letters, SOP, undergraduate research)?
- 12:59 Should I still apply if I don’t have any research experience?
- 14:08 What’s a typical day like for a Ph.D. student?
- 24:35 How should an undergrad get more exposure to the different research fields if we’re not sure what we want to specifically go into?
- 28:39 What job opportunities in industry does a PhD or Master’s in CS open and close compared to a Bachelor’s?
- 33:05 How do you find a topic and an advisor?
- 35:44 How do I know where to apply? Where might I get in?
- 41:59 Can female-identifying speakers talk about some of the “bro culture” present in certainly not all, but many CS areas, and how they combat it?
- 48:05 Please describe someone who should/should not pursue a CS PhD? Assume that they both did well in a CS undergrad program
General CS Ph.D. Information Session — 18 November 2020
- 0:00 Introductions
- 13:17 Do I need to get as master’s degree before getting a Ph.D.?
- 14:19 How do you pay for a Ph.D. and how much does it cost?
- 15:34 What’s the weight of different parts of the application (test scores, grades, letters, SOP, undergraduate research)?
- 18:43 What matters most in the application? Undergrad grades, graduate (MS) grades, GMAT/GRE, recommendations or research experience?
- 23:12 How do you find a topic and an advisor?
- 28:16 How does work experience as software engineer factor in? Or does that only count if you’re part of a published research project?
- 30:27 What kind of job can I get with a Ph.D. and what’s the job market like?
- 32:45 Can I have good work life balance as a Ph.D. student?
- 37:30 Should I still apply if I don’t have any research experience?
- 41:35 Can you do a Ph.D. program part time?
- 45:52 What job opportunities in industry does a PhD or Master’s in CS open and close compared to a Bachelor’s?
- 49:14 Is there a time of life that is best to pursue a PhD? Is there an average age for a first year PhD candidate?
- 52:43 How important is it to reach out to potential advisors before applying? Can they vouch for you in the application process later on?